Table of Contents
- 1 Why Choose Pigeons For Dog Training?
- 2 How to Catch Pigeons for Dog Training?
- 3 How To Set A Trap?
- 4 Check The Best Pigeon Traps For Dog Training!
- 5 FAQ:
- 6 Final Words:
Professional trainers prefer pigeons to train their spaniels for hunting or flushing. However, suppose a trainer wants to provide consistent and steady training or wants to utilize bird launching. In that case, he must learn to trap pigeons. So now the query arrives, “How to catch pigeons for dog training?”
The best method to catch pigeons for dog training is to set traps. A trainer can choose either homemade traps or ready-made ones.
In this article, we have briefly discussed the methods of trapping pigeons and picked the top ready-made pigeon traps for you. So, read our content thoroughly and be ready to catch some pigeons for your spaniels.
Why Choose Pigeons For Dog Training?
When it comes to dog training, every trainer will go for pigeons, but why?
- Firstly, pigeons are pretty common and generally termed as vermin. So, none minds utilizing pigeons for dog training if trainers treat them well.
- Pigeons are easy to maintain. It would be an incredible idea to build a coop for the pigeons.
- They can return to the shed by themselves after training.
- Pigeons are an excellent choice for launchers. Once the trainer releases people, they flap, make noise, and give off a ‘game scent.’ Such a scenario helps a puppy to develop his scenting and hunting abilities.
How to Catch Pigeons for Dog Training?
As we already know, pigeons play an incredible role in training spaniels. However, how to trap pigeons for dog training? Birds are pretty cautious about their surroundings. If a trainer is not careful enough, he might waste most of the time catching pigeons instead of training the dog. So, let us direct you a bit on this exciting journey!
How To Set A Trap?
As pigeons are greedy, trapping them by luring is the best option.
- Firstly, place the bait regularly and observe the bird for several days. After close observation, the trainer will get an idea about their visiting schedule.
- Now it’s time to place the bait, but don’t try to catch the bird just after setting the trap. The pigeons are quite clever. Change of environment will alert them, and they won’t visit the trap for several days.
- We would advise you to continue placing the bait and be patient. The pigeons will eventually ignore the trap and will try to grab the food.
Patience is the key factor while trapping a bird. Check the trap at least twice a day as it is inconvenient to constrict a bird unnecessarily. Keep the trap in a place for a minimum of two weeks to grab the attention of the bird.
Trap With A Box:
Box method or ‘Wile E. box trap’ is an effective method to trap a healthy pigeon.
- Firstly, the trainer needs a medium-sized laundry basket or cardboard box, stick, and cords.
- Tie a string with the stick. The string should be at least 20 feet long.
- Now position the box upside down while propping one side with that stick.
- Place the bait under the box and wait a bit away with the cord’s other end.
- Once it falls into the trap & enters the box, you need to pull the cord carefully. Then, hopefully, the box will fall before the pigeon notices.
Catch By Hand:
Among all the techniques, catching by hand is the easiest one. However, pigeons are cautious & have wide eyesight.
- First, locate the pigeon you plan to catch.
- Proceed towards the target from the rear aspect. Get the hand ready to hover above it.
- Now, carefully & gently grab the bird by a downward momentum.
What Bait Should I Use To Trap Pigeons?
While planning, “How to get pigeons for dog training?” a trainer has to come up with some bait to lure them. As pigeons are scavengers, bread, cooked rice, popcorn, or other kitchen leftovers can be excellent bait. However, many professionals prefer ready-made grains or peas grains which are specially produced for this purpose. Therefore, we consider whole grain the best bait to trap pigeons.
Check The Best Pigeon Traps For Dog Training!
When a spaniel trainer is concerned about “How to catch pigeons for dog training,” he can either go for homemade traps or the ready-made ones. Here we have chosen “Bird*B*Gone Trap” as the best Pigeon trap for dog training.
Bird*B*Gone Trap is a lightweight (10 lbs) trap with 3 one way doors. So, once the pigeon is inside, it won’t be able to back out. This portable space is spacious and can hold at least 12 birds at a time. Shady screen, food & water containers will provide them a comfy habitat for the time being.
- Nice food containers.
- Shady habitat.
- It would be best if you disguised the case.
How to Keep Pigeons For Dog Training?
After trapping pigeons, a trainer needs to build up a friendly coop a few feet above the floor to provide safety, comfort, and warmth. The coop can be made of cardboard or wood, which comes with some weather protection. The loft must contain several facilities, including:
- Superior ventilation.
- Dry floors.
- Entrance security.
- Proper access for Maintenance.
- Food & water containers.
How do you train a pigeon to train your dog?
The most common training strategy is to hide little pigeons in a cover.Then, after coming across crosswind, the pups will trace Pigeons by their scents & flapping sounds.
What is the easiest method to catch a pigeon?
The basic hand technique is the easiest and cheapest method to catch a pigeon. After fixing the target, slowly hover the hand over the pigeon. If you are careful enough, you will catch the pigeon by dropping the hand & pinning it to the ground.
Where can I trap pigeons?
A beginner can trap pigeons either in a cardboard box, hand-made trap, basket, or choose a trapping cage from online/local stores.
“How to catch pigeons for dog training” is a common concern of almost every dog trainer. In order to assist the beginners, we have discussed the most functional methods along with our top pick for trapping pigeons. So, are you ready to trap some pigeons to trap the spaniels?