Table of Contents
- 1 1. Maxpower Planet Pet Grooming Brush
- 2 2. Anipaw Pet Grooming Brush
- 3 3. Thstheaven Pet Grooming Brush & Nail Clippers Trimmers
- 4 4. MalsiPree Pet Grooming Brush for Dogs/Cats
- 5 5. Pat Your Pet Deshedding Brush – Double-Sided Undercoat Rake for Dogs & Cats
- 6 2022 Buying Guide: Grooming Brush For Matted Dog Hair
- 7 How to Prevent Dog Matting
- 8 Dealing with Severely Matted Dog Hair: Slicker Brush and other important Dematting tools
- 9 FAQ – Dog Grooming Brush For Matted Dog Hair
- 10 Conclusion
The best dog grooming brush for matted hair can go a long way in helping you untangle matted dog hair during grooming. If you’re in the market for some of the best dog grooming brushes, this extensive review will be of great help.
You know that feeling when your dog is a matted mess.
But aside from the fact that this is the least cute thing you want to see on your dog, it can also put the dog at risk of several skin irritations, infections, parasites, and pain.
Dog grooming can be a great way to de-mat your dog or prevent matting in the first place.
But you need a suitable dog grooming brush that not only helps you detangle the matted hair into smaller pieces but also does so painlessly. We reviewed hundreds of brushes on the market to help you cut through the noise and get your hands on some of the best dog grooming brushes there are. Below are our most outstanding picks;
1. Maxpower Planet Pet Grooming Brush
Shih Tzu dog breeds seem to be prone to hair tangles and knots more than other dogs. Whether you’re trying to detangle somewhat severe matting or looking to prevent this, to begin with, this dual-sided grooming brush from the MaxPower Planet store will help you solve issues with matting.
This product is a multipurpose dog grooming brush. Along with dematting tangled hair, it can also help with shedding and thinning loose hair. While it’s one of our top choices when you need the best dog grooming brush for matted dog hair, the brush is just as great for cats, horses, rabbits, and many other pets.
- Multipurpose dual-side design – a 9-teeth side works for dematting and detangling and another 17-teeth side works for thinning and de-shedding.
- Blades are slightly sharpened to ensure the brush can easily cut through the most severe matting.
- Rounded teeth end guarantee painless, scratch-free, and irritation-free use for dogs.
- Compatible for rabbits, cats, horses, and other pets with short to long fur coats.
- Compatible for use with multiple dog breeds such as Shih Tzu, Shiba Inu, Pitbull, Labrador, Husky, Rottweiler, Chihuahua, Golden Retriever, German Shepherd, Great Dane, Newfoundland, Bichon Frise, Samoyed, Pomeranian, Cairn Terrier, etc.
2. Anipaw Pet Grooming Brush
This brush from Anipaw is dual-sided like MaxPower’s and it’s one of the best grooming brushes out there for anyone looking to groom a matted dog, even for some severely matted dogs.
The first side is made up of 9 teeth designed for use on the most stubborn tangles and pads. The other side has 17 teeth that function for dilution and hair removal. These teeth have a very sharp inner side with rounded edges on the outside. This helps ensure it won’t scratch or hurt your dogs while you’re using it.
- Double head design – comes with a 9-teeth side that easily combs tangles, mats, and furs, and another 17-teeth side for de-shedding.
- Sharp inner with rounded outer edges keeps scratches, cuts away, making the brush highly safe to uses.
- The ergonomic anti-slip handle is soft and along with the anti-rust stainless steel teeth, the brush is both easy to use and durable enough to be deemed a valuable investment into your dog’s grooming routine.
3. Thstheaven Pet Grooming Brush & Nail Clippers Trimmers
This grooming brush from Thstheaven is what you need if you’re worried about grooming your matted dog with all of the tangles, knots, and all. The grooming brush, like the ones we reviewed so far, comes with two sides – one that helps to cut through tough mats and tangles and the other one that’s suitable for regular brushing of your dog to remove dead furs and undercoat.
This dog grooming brush boasts an interesting design. While it can also be used for skin massage to help your furry friend boost blood circulation and promote a healthy coat, it comes with a nail trimmer that helps ensure you don’t clip too much hair at once to the extent where it could hurt your dog. There’s also a mini nail file included for use in sharpening the blades if they ever go blunt.
- Pet brush measures about 6.69″ x 3.94″. Clipper size is 6.5″ x 2″
- Double-head design with a 9-teeth side that helps remove mats and tangles, and another 17-teeth side that helps with deshedding and getting rid of loose hairs.
- The ergonomic brush handle is made from soft and anti-slip rubber.
- Pet nail trimmer with safety guard helps improve safety and ease of use.
- Mini nail file included to keep the brush blades sharp.
4. MalsiPree Pet Grooming Brush for Dogs/Cats
Superior design, affordability, and sheer effectiveness are the hallmarks of this MalsiPree pet grooming brush, which is undoubtedly one of the best grooming brushes for matted dog hair in the market today. It’s got two sides like the rest, one side for dematting and the other for de-shedding. Along with regular brushing, the brush can also be used for skin massage to help your dog maintain a shiny coat and boost blood circulation.
The MalsiPree has got almost everything it needs to be the favorite brush for your dog’s grooming sessions. These include an ergonomic handle that’s super easy to handle and use, the stainless-steel de-shedding edge that can help you reduce shedding by up to 95%, and two well-designed sides for both combing and dematting your dog’s hair.
- Easy brushing, de-shedding, and dematting capabilities.
- Two-head design with a 90-teeth side for combing and dematting and a 22-teeth side for raking and de-shedding.
- Safe and easy-to-use stainless-steel deshedding edge.
- An ergonomic handle makes using the brush easy.
- Reduces shedding by up to 95%.
5. Pat Your Pet Deshedding Brush – Double-Sided Undercoat Rake for Dogs & Cats
There are a lot of things to like about this Pat Your Pet Deshedding brush.
Not only will it help you get rid of extremely severe matting and nasty knots, but it’s also suitable for use on dogs with different hair lengths from short to medium, and long, and everything in between.
If you don’t want to put up with the unsightly appearance of your dog’s matted hair or are simply worried about not allowing this to become a breeding ground for all kinds of parasites and diseases, this brush from the Pat Your Pet store should top your list of priority if you’re looking for the best dog grooming brush for matted dog hair in the market today.
- Dual head design – a 17-teeth side for combing, thinning, and de-shedding, and another 9-teeth side for dematting.
- Rounded blade edges made from no-rust stainless steel guarantee smooth use and maximum safety without the risk of scratches and irritation.
- Anti-slip and easy-grip ergonomic handle make using the brush blissful.
- Safe and easy-to-use stainless-steel deshedding edge.
2022 Buying Guide: Grooming Brush For Matted Dog Hair
Are you in the market for a great grooming brush for your dog’s matted hair?
Whether you just want your dog to have a smooth and fur coat or want to ensure your dog’s matted hair does not provide a reason for parasites and diseases to spread, here are some important factors to keep in mind when shopping for grooming brushes;
Quality of brush
Grooming brushes are abundant in the market but high-quality ones are few and far between. While it’s a good thing that these grooming brushes don’t cost an arm and leg, you still want to ensure they not only get the job done nicely but are also durable enough.
Many of the grooming brushes we reviewed have been chosen for their high quality. These include everything from using no-rust stainless blades, ergonomic handles, and some even coming with nail files to help keep the blades sharp and effective.
Hair length: short or long?
Some grooming brushes are designed to be used on short fur coats.
Some are meant for medium to long hair lengths. While most of the grooming brushes we reviewed are capable of diverse hair lengths, you have to be sure you’re buying the correct brush, depending on your dog’s hair length.
Safety and ease of use
Grooming is necessary but should be done in a way that doesn’t pose any harm to your dog. This is why you should not only go for grooming brushes that are easy to use but also safe enough to avoid cuts, scratches, and irritations on your dog’s skin.
How to Prevent Dog Matting
Grooming a dog’s severely matted hair can pose some challenges. So, if you’re considering what you can do to prevent this from happening, here are a few tips to help;
- Regular brushing of your dog’s coat helps. Do this at least once a week.
- Gently pull apart small knots to remove them before they become even tighter.
- Cut out stubborn mats and knots.
- Clip and trim the dog’s fur regularly.
- Bathe your dog regularly but be wary of doing this if your dog already has matted hair as it can even exacerbate the mats.
- Get your dog on a healthy diet and consider supplementing their meal with fish oil supplements.
- Get the right dematting tools ready in case you need to groom your dog when it has developed a few matted hairs on one or more areas on its coat.
Dealing with Severely Matted Dog Hair: Slicker Brush and other important Dematting tools
How do you treat matted dog hair?
You can start by pulling the mats gently apart to untangle them.
Some recommend using an oil-based spray before the process as it can help the knots become softer and easier to pull apart.
It should be noted that coconut oil can also work for this as it can help make the hair smoother and softer for the dematting process.
Once done, you’ll need to comb through any of the grooming brushes for matted hair that we reviewed above. Anyone would work just fine.
Along with the dog grooming brush, you can consider using a slicker brush to brush over the fur and smoother the dog’s coat as the detangling gets done.
FAQ – Dog Grooming Brush For Matted Dog Hair
Got questions you’d like to ask about your dog’s matted hair or the best dog grooming brush for such? Check out our list of frequently asked questions to see if these answer any of the questions you have too!
How do you Groom a dog with Matted hair?
Grooming a dog with matted hair includes using special tools like a grooming brush specially designed to remove tangles, mats, and knots. These brushes often have sharp blades and brushes that can easily cut through the mats.
What tool is best for removing mats on dogs?
The best tools for removing mats on dogs are special grooming brushes with sharp but gentle teeth. These are often used for both brushing and dematting as they help make everything easy without pulling the hair off the dog’s body in a way that hurts.
How do you detangle severely matted dog hair?
If you’re dealing with severely matted dog hair, you might consider first using coconut oil or another oil-based detangling spray. While this helps make the mats and tangles softer, they become easier to brush with your special grooming brush, along with a slicker brush.
How do you treat severely matted dog hair?
If your dog’s matted hair is so extreme, you might consider shaving it off entirely. This makes the most sense if the mats are in one or two small areas. In the worst case, your dog might need an overall haircut. This full-body shave might be the easiest and least painful way for your dog to get rid of its severely matted hair.
Dealing with mats and tangles can make grooming your dog a lot more challenging, but things could also get a lot easier when you have the right tools.
With any of the special dog grooming brushes we reviewed above, you can help your dog detangle mats and knots to make their fur and coats smooth and shiny.
But beyond making your furry friends look even more beautiful, choosing any of the best dog grooming brushes for matted dog hair above will also help get rid of the possibility of your dog’s mats and tangles becoming breeding grounds for parasites that could jeopardize your pet’s health.
I am Steven. I have completed my Diploma Program on Medical Science. I am a pet lover specially Dog is my favorite. Science 5 years I care care my Loving friend Tom. For this reason I have some experience on Dog.